After hours of researching different hair styling creams, we picked American Crew’s Forming Cream as our choice for best hair cream for men. Hair cream is a popular men’s styling product that offers a light to medium hold with some or no shine for a textured, natural finish other grooming products just can’t compete with. But not every hair styling cream is made with the same non-greasy, high-quality ingredients or gives guys the molding and shaping ability to create the coolest hairstyles.
While there are many good styling creams for guys, we ventured to review the top brands and grooming creams. Whether you need a light styling cream for your long hair or a way to soften your thick hairstyle with a natural matte texture, these are the best hair styling creams for men.
How To Choose The Best Men’s Hair Styling Cream
Men’s styling cream provides a natural look that has movement, flow and volume. In fact, a good hair cream can be useful for guys of all hair types, including thick, thin, wavy or curly hair. From providing volume to thinning hair to giving a light touch to curly hairstyles, cream is one of the most versatile styling products for men. But if you want to choose the right one for your needs, then it’s important to keep a few points in mind.
Here are some tips when shopping for a top-rated cream to help you shape and mold your haircut.
- Different types of styling creams. While there are certainly different kinds and names of hair creams, there isn’t much variation between any of them. You’ll see some brands describe their products as forming, grooming, shaping, molding creams and lotions, but they basically all offer the same level of hold and shine – medium to light hold and low to no shine. Generally, hair lotion gives a lighter touch while options like American Crew are almost like wax.
- Consider the hold. The best hair creams are volumizing yet offer a moderate hold without any stiffness or flakiness. If you are looking for a firm hold to control coarse hair and style a structured, neat hairstyle like a side part or pompadour, then you’ll need to buy hair wax, pomade, or clay. Otherwise, styling cream is good for shape, texture, and natural movement.
- Choose between low shine and matte finish. Some of the most popular men’s hairstyles today are all about that textured, natural look. If you’re looking for low to no shine, then a good cream-based product will deliver the results you want without making it look like you have a ton of product in your hair.
- Subtle scents go a long way. Fragrances are often added to styling products via chemicals. Fortunately, the hair styling creams we are recommending do not smell strongly of potent chemicals. The highest-quality hair creams are scented naturally with essential oils, which are pleasantly fragrant yet never overbearing. Essential oils also help moisturize and promote healthy hair and skin.
- Identify your hair type. Hair cream effectively adds texture while providing a natural hold on a variety of hair types. Styling cream can help add definition to curly or wavy hair while taking control of frizz. Similarly, it can bring a short hairstyle such as a textured crop, quiff or comb over to life with texture and movement. Guys dealing with thin or thinning hair may find grooming creams to be exceptionally good at thickening hair and avoiding clumping, giving limp strands much-needed fullness. If your hair tends to be hard to manage or style, then we suggest you try a stronger hold product.